Monday, June 28, 2010

a pretty poorly written poem thought of on the car ride away from you

Despite Your Imperfections

And mine;
the seemingly apathetic responces when a game is on,
the ceaselessly unnecessary questions comparing me to her,
the lack of letters written,
the lack of futbol experience,
the lazy moments,
the seamless passive aggressivity.
We like - we really like -
We love each other.
And for some reason,
perhaps the monthly rawing of emotion,
perhaps the miles I was painfully placing between us,
a song on the radio almost made me cry.
Yes, it was a country song.
But accepting the cliche and moving forward,
the last verse desrbied and old man
worn and surrounded by loved ones
who told them happily that
this was his temporary home, it's not
where he belongs - meaning heaven was the goal
and this was just a means to an end.
I hate that and disagree
wholeheartedly.
The worst thought that comes in to my mind
from time to time
is the possibility of losing you, leaving you
forever one day.

Because I feel empty when I leave you for a week.
One of the many reasons I know this thing we share is irreplaceable:
despite all imperfections on your side and mine,
despite any bad nights or moments we pass through
every single thing is better when you're near me.
you make my every day.
you make me.

(jb)

footnote: I have recently realized that you have made me bad at writing poetry. At one point in my life, I could have written ten poems a week, and not it's difficult to write one. And when I write it, it's usually an underwhelming work - and it's all your fault. It's all your fault in the best possible way because i love you so deeply and eternally and in every cliched and irreplaceable and indescribable and unconditional way that when I try to put it into words, it comes out into a blob of romantic, corny gush that sounds just like the last three poems I wrote. So yes, you make me love you too much and for that you have made me a horrible poet. Thank you for ending my writing career. I'm so happy I feel this way.

1 comment:

  1. You cant put out a masterpiece like this and then try to tell me that I make you write poor poetry! That was far and away my favorite poem that I've read by you. I love how much I know you and the way I can read something you've written and know that it was you that wrote those beautiful words. Most of all, I love you!

    ReplyDelete